Monday, September 19, 2005

Five days left

It has suddenly come to my attention that summer is almost officially
over, and I haven't yet read my requisite Faulkner novel. Every summer
I read at least one. I still have a few days left, though, so if I
choose a short one, I can still make it.

So what's it going to be? As I Lay Dying? The Bear? Well, the Bear
isn't exactly a novel, is it? Or is it? Hrmm.

I think I got off schedule because it's already been feeling a lot like
fall around here for several weeks already. The light's changed, leaves
are starting to get dry, and there's that sharp yellowish plant-like
smell in the air, some kind of weed I haven't been able to identify
yet. I wore a sweater yesterday for the first time since last spring.

Tomorrow it's supposed to rain and I still haven't bought any special
rain-proof anything to wear on the bike. To make things even more
interesting, the bridge I cross twice every day—the only way to cross
this river without going a couple of miles out of my way—is going to be
closed for a few weeks while they widen the lanes. They let me ride
across it this morning even though it's already closed to car traffic.
It was the first time I've ever had the entire bridge all to myself. It
felt luxurious. I hope they'll keep a foot bridge open while they
complete the rest of the work; otherwise anyone who doesn't have a car
is going to find it a real challenge to try to get across that river,
especially if the weather starts to get cold soon.

Anyway, regarding the Faulkner Speed Reading Challenge 2005: If nothing
else, this will give me a good reason to resume sorting through the
last of my stuff that's still all packed away in mysterious unmarked
boxes in the garage. I kind of know where the Faulkner is ... but
actually, not really. I don't at this moment know exactly where
anything is, because I did not pack my own boxes this time, and I
didn't load them into the garage, either. That was very sweet of him to
get my stuff all moved for me. But it's disconcerting to not know where
things are. I usually know where everything is. Everything.

Well, if it's really going to start raining soon, it's basically now or
never. Anything that gets left out there over the winter is going to
end up so moldy smelling I might as well throw it all away right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home