Friday, January 13, 2006

On a lighter note

I ran across this yesterday while looking for a graphic online. Apparently, fish CAN learn tricks! I had always known they could recognize people, because I've had fish who would swim up to meet me whenever I walked past their bowl. I always assumed they only cared because I was the person who gave them their food. Now I'm wondering if maybe they were actually inviting me to play!

One of the testimonials on the website says something like, "My kids used to pester me for a REAL pet, like a cat or a dog. Now they're much more interested in their fish. Your program saved me a huge hassle – thanks, Fish School!"

I have five fish right now who live in a giant blue ceramic koi pot on our back porch. In the month or so since Mr. A brought them home they've gone from shy tiny creatures who wouldn't swim out from inside their pagoda, to funny little fellers with names and personalities and even special behaviors unique to each fish. I still think their main interest in me is as the giver of food. Now I'm looking at them in a new light, however.

In other news, this morning I grabbed what I thought was my last clean sweater, stuffed it in my bag, and rode to work. It was in a box of winter clothes that I know I washed before I stored them last year, but I hadn't opened the box until this morning and I was in such a hurry to get out of the house that I didn't notice until I started changing into it that it reeks of that stale boxed-clothing smell. Also, the collar is itchy – something I had known about but forgotten. Now I'm trying to decide between wearing it all day, or changing back into the second layer of the clothes I rode to work in. The t-shirt layer is sweaty, but the fleece zippie thing is probably okay. It isn't exactly work attire. On the other hand, it doesn't stink, and it doesn't itch.

One thing is for sure: this sweater is going in the Goodwill box as soon as I get home. Life's too short to wear itchy sweaters! Although, if that's true, why pass along the problem to someone else? Maybe I'll just chop out the collar and sew it up into some other shape. Or cut up the whole sweater to make a vest for the Jeeps. Or just send it to the @#$% Goodwill! Do I really have to take responsibility for all the problems of the world? No. Maybe another person wouldn't find it itchy at all! I do have a very sensitive neck.

Also: Someone I work with just gave me a pair of her son's old rollerblades! I'm excited to try them. I've never rollerbladed before.

Kinda nice to have a shallow, meaningless, angst-free entry for a change, eh? Well, except for the part about the sweater.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julie sent me. Always nice to find another NoCal blogger (I'm in Davis). I once saw some throw pillows made of old sweaters...kinda like that idea of recyling them. Of course I got rid of all my sweaters before I remembered it. :)

1/14/2006 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home