Saturday, April 15, 2006

A day-before-Easter miracle!

This afternoon my cell phone rang and as I picked it up I recognized the number of the shop where I bought those earrings. When I'd called earlier today the owner had said they didn't have any more like that, but that I could leave my number in case they got them in again. So when I saw who was calling me I thought, Cool – she must have found another pair. And at that exact moment – before I even answered the call – I reached into my coat pocket and there – THERE – was the missing earring!

So freaky! Especially since I know I already checked the pockets, more than once. Which just goes to show how obsessive I was about looking, because I never even wore that coat on that day – just carried it around with me all afternoon in case it should start to rain again.

Anyway, when I realized what I was touching I felt so happy I couldn't stop laughing. I have the earring back! And, if I still want yet another pair, I can have that too!

Last night as I was heading toward the toll plaza on the Bay Bridge, with Oakland all spread out in front of me sparkling with the sunset and city lights coming on, I was mesmerized by an enormous purple blanket of fog that stretched all the way from Marin, over San Francisco and the bay, and down as far as I could see toward Fremont and the South Bay. Usually the city seems so overwhelmingly huge to me, and so do the bridges and those gigantic white cranes down at the loading docks and the neverending stretches of pavement and overpasses and all the other things that people have made ... but under that rolling fog, with the deepening blue sky and all the billions of stars above it, I got a sense of the real scale of things, how small we humans and our creations really are. I couldn't help thinking about my lost earring then. Somehow, in that context, I suddenly felt at peace about having lost it. And yet today, when I found it again, I was instantly ecstatic.

I'm not the kind of person who would take any of this as a sign that everything happens for a reason, or that there must be some greater lesson to be learned here, or that – see?! – the world really is a paradise of abundance in which even the most seemingly innocuous events are secretly conspiring to shower us with blessings beyond our wildest dreams!!!!

I do believe in gratitude, though, and I can't help feeling ridiculously, giddily grateful each time a little bit of happiness comes my way. Finding a small lost thing might not "mean" anything, but it sure feels good.

2 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

That is a fantastic feeling, recovering something you thought long-gone. And the thing doesn't even need to be "tangible." I'm glad you brought up gratitude. I'm trying to practice that more. It's so easy to forget to be grateful.

4/17/2006 5:22 PM  
Blogger rovinato said...

You'd expect a cynic like me to lambast your small good fortune, but i won't. Those little thumps are the only heartbeat you can feel on this planet besides your own. Odd cheery treats can be just that, and we don't have to create a superbadass invisible god so we can thank him profusely.

4/18/2006 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home