Thursday, June 29, 2006

Technical question

I need to find a new registrar and CHEAP hosting service for several URLs I own and/or manage. Requirements:

1. Must be secure. I don't want any of these domains to be stolen or sold out from under me or my clients.

2. Must be cheap. The current one is around $25 a year for domain registration and a basic hosting package. Most of the sites are only a few pages of basic old-skool HTML (the only kind I know), with no shopping carts or any other fancy stuff, so I don't need much storage space or any complicated software.

3. The management interface must be Mac-compatible. This is my biggest complaint with my current registrar – none of their online help tools or WSYWIG editors work if you're coming in from a Mac.

4. The customer service must be responsive. The problem I'm having now is not a complicated one, but I can't get anyone to answer my desperate pleas for help – I'm not even sure they're receiving them. The support desk software is just one more of the many features of their service that does not appear to work with a Mac.

Any suggestions, anyone? I need to make this happen within the next couple of days.

[shudders ] This kind of thing makes me realize I really don't want to be dealing with other people's websites at all anymore. I don't even want to deal with my own, other than posting a little update here every once in awhile. I love the Internet, but I don't want to "make the Internet happen." This is a great example of a situation in which I would rather be a consumer than a creator. Let other people troubleshoot and problem solve and fix the glitches – I just want it to work! Is that too much to ask?

Yikes. One too many Thai iced teas this afternoon, apparently. I'm all hopped up!

1 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

I have no idea what to suggest, but you did remind me I'm way overdue for a Thai iced tea.

7/02/2006 12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home