Thursday, June 05, 2008

Friday fashion

I've decided to follow in the footsteps of the highly righteous Writermama and start documenting some of the street fashion, such as it is, in my little corner of our continent's Left coast. It's high time I do something to snap myself out of this ridiculous funk I've been in, and her Monday posts always make me smile – on weekends I often find myself actually looking forward to Monday, because I know it will mean new pictures and style commentary on her site.

So this is my first attempt: a pristine pair of bright yellow ostrich leather cowboy boots on a man in black, sitting on a bench beside his bicycle in the park next to my office. You have to click the photo to get the detail ... I'm still getting the hang of photographing people surreptitiously, and my technique is not yet up to standard. I will get there, though!

I've also decided to take a cue from another of my favorite bloggers, and follow my own advice from a few months ago, and start taking more pictures and posting them here. I've just downloaded seven new snaps from my camera phone, which I hope will inspire me to update this thing a little more often – maybe not every day, but closer to it – even if it's only to talk briefly about the photos.

Something to look forward to!

P.S. Looking closer at that photo of the boots reminds me of how I spent a pleasant hour this afternoon: Photoshopping out several unsightly globs and drips of bird shit from a fence in the background of a photo that is going on my next magazine cover. It makes me feel good inside to know I can protect the public from a sight like that ... although in my personal work I insist upon a more naturalistic approach.

3 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

Congratulations on your first fashion post! That's the best thing that's happened all day. I like the moody lighting of it, and the way the yellow pops out of the shadow. Can't wait to see more. impressed with your photoshopping skills, btw!

6/06/2008 10:44 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

That is one nice pair of cowboy boots!

Yay for fashion posts and yay for more photos--I have to say I am finding photography way more satisfying than blogging these days (and it takes less time--bonus!).

I hear ya about the difficulty of surreptitious photography. Writermama has that down pat, but I can't seem to master it. I once read about this device you could attach to your camera so that it would make it appear that you were pointing your camera at something other than the thing you were actually taking a photo of. I read about this probably 20 years ago, and have coveted that device ever since!

6/06/2008 9:27 PM  
Blogger Julie Turley, Kingsborough Librarian said...

The thing is I've gotten pretty bold, and I've been afraid lately that I'm going to be caught. One thing I have going for me out here is that people out in public have a very reduced sense of personal space, if that makes sense. You can actually get yourself pretty close to people with your camera and they don't seem to notice. And then there's always the zoom funciton.

6/08/2008 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home