Friday, June 08, 2012

Two more things

Two more things I wish I had thought to do:

1. I could have asked our vet for some pain medication or sedative to keep in the house, just in case a situation developed overnight or at some other time when the clinic was closed. If I'd planned ahead for that, I would have been able to give him something much earlier, and saved him several hours of pain and fear.

2. I would like to have taken a moment to listen to him one last time, instead of being so desperate to express my own feelings, to tell him how much I loved him. Yes, he was barely conscious, and as a dog, he obviously didn't know how to talk ... Still. He was always so good at letting me know what he wanted, and how he felt. I wish I had thought to say, "If there's anything you want to communicate with me while we're both still here together, I am listening." I suppose this is something I can still do. With him, and also with the people I love – my parents in particular.

My relationship with this dog taught me that there are limits to what can be communicated with words, and so much that can be shared without them. With people though, words are still important. Especially when they're people I don't get to actually see and be with very often.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you are doing well, as well as can be.

I am so glad you were able to write all that you did because it is beautiful and I imagine it helped so much.

You are a wonderful writer.

I hope you will write a post past the regrets, as they can only hurt, and you were such a good good person in your dog's life.

I am being more present with my dogs, because of your posts. How I adore them. Enjoy yours.

6/27/2012 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home