Monday, October 03, 2005

Dolly Parton's wig

That's all I was able to see of her through the crowd, being only just over five feet tall myself. But I could hear her! This was yesterday at the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Park. I didn't get a chance to get down there on Saturday, but Sunday was great too—we saw Eliza Gilkyson, the Be Good Tanyas, Todd Snider, Kevin Welch & Kieran Kane & Fats Kaplin, Guy Clark, Dave Alvin, Steve Earle, Joe Ely, Verlon Thompson, Rosanne Cash, Emmylou Harris, the Hot Buttered Rum String Band, and a local jug band I'd never heard of called Stiff Dead Cat, who had a song featuring the fabulous line, "Nothing to eat but rats and snakes!" I will definitely be looking those guys up for a second listen.

This morning I started counting and found that I cross five creeks between my house and my office. All but one of them is dry at the moment. They're beautiful, all round clean gray rocks carpeted with yellow leaves and blackberry brambles, and shaded by enormous bay and eucalyptus trees. You can see paths in the leaves where animals have walked. One of these days very soon, before it starts raining, I'll take the camera and document the creekbeds, and then later, document them filling up with water. That's one of my favorite things that happens all year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home