Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Heart music

This afternoon I was goofing around with the GarageBand software on my computer at work, and when I opened the loop editor and clicked a random piano loop I had a sudden, very sweet stab of adrenalin that shot all the way through me. The piano sounded so beautiful I felt like I was on fire! And I felt something else: a desperate longing to play music again.

Listening to someone else play a piano is nothing like playing it yourself.

I took piano lessons for probably about eight years as a child. For the first year I walked to my lessons at an elderly neighbor lady's house, where I would climb up onto her big brown padded piano bench and sit with my feet barely reaching the pedals, playing scales and repeating songs like "The Lion Hunt" over and over and over until we were both happy with my performance.

After that I started studying at the university with a friend of our family who was the director of the music department there. My favorite memories of those lessons are of wandering around the empty, musty-smelling music building. Listening to unseen students playing various uncoordinated instruments in locked practice rooms. Spying on abandoned saxophones and cellos waiting patiently in empty offices. Breathing in the smells of old wooden furniture and dampness and stale cigarette smoke. Sitting hunched down in deep cushiony chairs in someone's studio or in the giant empty auditorium, writing in my notebook. Pulling myself along by the smooth wooden handrail as I climbed the stairs from the basement to the third floor. Standing on my toes to look out the tall arched windows at a snowy parking lot at twilight, or at new leaves in spring, or at the lights of cars curving around the corner from the institute building, watching to see if it was my mom or dad coming for me. I remember the sound of hard-soled shoes echoing down a long, white tiled hallway in the dark.

I remember falling in love with certain pieces of classical music around this time, too. Chopin, Mozart, Beethovan. Easy pieces kids could learn. I remember listening to my father play Moonlight Sonata from memory.

I remember the wonderful feeling in my hands when they really knew the instrument, and music would just come pouring out of them. It was so easy, so natural.

When I was a kid I had lots of experiences that were very physically satisfying in that way. I remember running fast, jumping, swimming, playing music, doing gymnastics, playing games – the feeling that comes when your body knows what to do and takes over doing it, and your mind empties itself and you forget you even exist, for awhile. These days I am so used to ignoring myself when I want to move and play like that, that I hardly ever even notice it anymore. I've forced myself for almost 20 years to sit still in a chair for eight or more hours every day.

Riding the bike has been a little taste of what I've been missing. Maybe that's what's opening me up to the idea of doing more now, finally – playing the piano again, or finding a place to swim more often. It's exhausting to live so wrapped up in my own mind so much of the time.

5 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

I've been longing to play the piano again, too! Thanks for reminding me that we need to drag at least a keyboard in here.

Didn't you play with a band at BYU? Chad Bagley sang? Was it on a Monkees song? Please enlighten.

3/08/2006 5:19 AM  
Blogger brad-o-ley said...

You can pick up a cheap keyboard for about $100 that would really get you back into it...we bought one from ebay that works great.

3/08/2006 10:15 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Wow. This post made me remember the *smell* of music. My dad was a high school band director, so as a little kid I was always going over to the high school band room with him.

It definitely had its own smell. What was it? Old saliva-saturated reeds mainly, I think, but also the tangy smell of dented brass Sousaphones and dusty felt. It sounds gross but it wasn't an unpleasant smell--I associate it with happy memories anyway. My dad always let us beat away on all the percussion instruments (we were forbidden to play Chopsticks on the piano, though), which was so much fun. When I got to high school and was in band myself, it still smelled the same way...

******

Anyway, lovely, lovely description of your memory of studying the piano.

3/08/2006 12:57 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I agree - that was a lovely piece of writing. Glad to hear you like to ride bikes...I just got a road bike and it's been an incredibly freeing thing!

3/08/2006 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina-- I may be repeating something that was said before here, but this was an absolutely beautiful post! I started "doing" music again recently too, probably trying, just like you, to recapture the smells and adrenalin and feeling of the old days. At first I felt just slightly silly borrowing an old tuba and signing up for brass ensemble at the neighborhood music school (it's mostly kids, but my group is all oldsters like me) -- but now I wouldn't skip it for anything. And ah! the tangy smell of dented brass... it is a happy smell.

I highly recommend going for it if you can, in any way you can: it feels good. You could go play piano in an old folks' home or something! Or at a school! Everybody loves a piano player! I can't wait to hear all your musical stories.

3/10/2006 9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home