Thursday, September 14, 2006

Please stop, before it disappears altogether!

Am I the only one who's broken out in a sweaty, nauseous panic attack over how tiny the redesigned iPod Shuffle is? I love tiny things almost as much as I love cute things, but this is going too far. It's downright alarming! Plus, it's always bugged me that the Shuffle doesn't have a display. As an extremely text-oriented person, I demand words on everything. If there aren't any, well, that's what Sharpies are for.

As for iPods, I am still using my vintage first-generation pink iPod mini with no problems whatsoever. Sure, it lacks the bright and beautiful full-color display of the spanking new video iPod I got for Mr. A (as a surprise to go with the mp3-player hookup in the new car), and it has a scratch or two I wish I hadn't inflicted – but it works great and with its baby blue pleather jumpsuit on, you can't even tell about the scratches.

In other news, Mr. A gave me a surprise the other day and launched my latest home film fest early, by sneaking several DVDs to the top of our Netflix without telling me – this announcement by way of letting everyone know, in the most understated way possible, that the first annual Extreme Waltons-Palooza Schlock Fest of the Gods is now officially under way.

I have to be understated, because it's embarrassing to be so excited about something so silly. But I really love the Waltons! They're one of my guiltiest pleasures. The stories remind me of the stories my dad's family tells about growing up during the Depression, and I love the details in the sets and costuming. The Waltons' house is my ultimate dream house of all time. Their cars are simple and dusty and square. The roads are dirt. The women all wear those great homemade Depression-era dresses. And they all wear aprons! The shoes, I'm not so crazy about – but half the time they're not wearing shoes anyway, so that's okay. And I love the stuff in their house, especially the enormous old-fashioned kitchen, with the pile of firewood next to the stove and the funky bullet-shaped water heater hooked up to the back. I also noticed, watching it this time around, that there's a cool little landing behind the kitchen, with a sewing machine table, a bunch of paper patterns pinned to the wall, and a dress form stashed in that awkward-shaped space under the stairs.

There was a scene the other day where Grandma is ironing in the background – not even part of the main action of the scene – and the iron is plugged into the bottom of a light socket that also holds one bare lightbulb, all dangling from the ceiling on one of those long cloth-covered cords. The light casts wildly moving shadows around the room as her ironing swings the whole aparatus back and forth. It's a great detail I never would have noticed as a kid watching that show. Since then I've lived in houses from that era, where the electricity was installed by people who had not lived with electricity before, and therefore the outlets end up in strange places, and you have to turn off some of the lights before you vacuum or you'll blow a fuse. I've always loved those funky details, and the way they make me pay attention to my house. I miss them in the place I'm in now.

Searching around on the web yesterday I found out that the Waltons' house isn't a real house after all – it's a set. I wish I didn't know that.

Also, from watching the first three episodes I came up with two Waltons trivia questions:

1. How far is the house from Ike Godsey's store?
2. What does John-Boy wear under his night shirt?

Answers tomorrow!

5 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

The Waltons was one of the few TV shows my mom let us watch. If we'd been allowed unlimited TV like most folks, I probably wouldn't have watched it. John Boy's holier-than-thou demeanor got on my nerves. But somehow I remember certain episodes fairly vividly.

I did love that Mary Ellen (and maybe Erin, too) wore cotton anklets with high heeled shoes (when they dressed up for church or a dance or something)--I guess cuz they couldn't afford silk stockings. I wish that look would pass muster now.

The period detail you noticed is great. It almost makes me want to put The Waltons in my Netflix queue.

Here are my guesses to your trivia question.

1. 3 miles
2. a hair shirt

And here's some trivia for you.

According to my brother, Ralph Waite was a total pothead and was stoned in every single episode.

I don't know what my brother's source is on that or if it's true. But there you are.

9/14/2006 5:58 PM  
Blogger kim said...

The inside of the house would be a set --but the outside of the house...That has to be real. I mean when they show a wide shot of the house on Waltons Mountain. That is a real house somewhere, like the Brady house is a real house somewhere in LA.
It has always been my dream house too.

9/15/2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger brad-o-ley said...

That's so funny about the ishuffle. I have to admit that I love the new design and went around looking for one yesterday but couldn't find one...I guess they havent' shipped them here yet.

I was secretly in love with the mother on the Waltons when I was a kid - and the mother on Little House on the Prairie. But I always hated that youngest Walton girl - Elizabeth.

9/15/2006 11:32 AM  
Blogger JT said...

I've never even touched an Ipod. I have no idea what they feel like, let alone how they work. Recently here, Ipods were getting yanked right off of people's bodies--the distinctive white earphones gave them away.

I remember very little about the Waltons, although our family always watched it. I remember John Boy's facial mole bugging me a lot. I think I remember envying how close and cozy their family seemed, so different than my own.

9/17/2006 7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to admit, the Walton's grandma always scared me a little - she reminds me of our aunt in Hermiston - tiny, but tougher than a Marine and she'd work anyone into the ground (but a great cook after all that). I loved their kitchen, too, and thought it was cool that they sat at benches at their dinner table. I never understood why their Mom hid her beautiful hair up in a bun all day and then let it down and braided it at night.
Kim-bo-bim

9/17/2006 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home