Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Another dream about flying

Tonight on my way home I saw a hawk stretching out its legs in front of its body as it came in to land on a telephone wire, and then grabbing the wire with its claws and coming to rest so gracefully and apparently effortlessly that I couldn't help thinking, "I bet it feels so great to be a hawk!"

I always thought it would be wonderful to be able to fly. I love to swim, too. I do a lot of flying and swimming in dreams; in my waking life, I swim as often as I can, which is not nearly as often as I would like. Something to figure out ... currently there is no public pool in the whole valley – though the city did spend upwards of one million dollars earlier this year on a redesigned duck pond in the middle of the plaza. Yeah, the priorities of the rich. They all have their own pools, I guess.

Speaking of swimming, I had another new version of my "missing the plane/lost in the world" dream the other night – the best one yet. This time I was on the beach with my family. I was walking at the edge of the water and saw a rope floating along with one end above the surface, the way a snake holds its head up when it swims. "That's interesting," I thought, and looked closer, and saw that the rope was attached to a little white canoe that was cruising along just under the surface of the water. That was even more interesting, so I took hold of the rope and started pulling myself out to sea, hand over hand, to see if I could see where it was going.

As I went along there were so many beautiful things to look at – sparkling underwater cities, and trees along the bank (it was more like a river now), and people doing interesting things, and flowers and animals ... I was sort of worrying, in the back of my mind, that I was getting kind of far away from the beach, and was not completely sure I knew how to get back. But then I noticed that I didn't even have to pull myself by climbing the rope anymore – all I had to do was hold on, and it would carry me along with no effort at all. Beautiful!

I was still anxious about how I would get back, but ended up being more curious than afraid and figured when it was time to go, I would figure out a way.

To cut to the chase, eventually I realized I was WAY out to sea, at which point I rose up several hundred feet above the water (still holding onto the rope) and looked back as far as I could see, all the way to the curve of the earth, realizing finally that I'd gone so far I could no longer see anything of what I'd left behind. I was lost.

Well! I set myself down on the riverbank (with a motion not unlike that hawk I saw tonight, come to think of it) and sat on a log to think as the sun went down. How was I going to get back? Was there a way to call someone, or at least let my family know where I was? I wasn't exactly afraid, because I knew I was in a beautiful, safe place and I knew everything would work out some way ... I just didn't have any idea how. And the idea of backtracking all that distance was pretty daunting. If it had been that easy to just float away, wouldn't it be all that much harder to pull myself back?

As I sat there mulling it all over, suddenly I heard footsteps crunching on the pebbled beach behind me, and a voice asking, "Hey, are you coming back in soon?"

It was my brother! And when I turned around to look, happy and relieved and wondering how he'd ever managed to find me, I saw the familiar grassy dunes and the long wooden steps and the little shingled house in the distance with warm yellow lights coming on for dinner, and I realized I'd actually swum and flown all the way around the world and landed right back on the very same beach I'd started on.

I woke up with a happy heart, thinking, "Wow – I can't wait to tell them everything I've seen!"

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Abraham in and out of Egypt?

Innocence regained?

8/30/2007 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home