Thursday, January 10, 2008

Grumpity grump

Is anyone else bored and irritated yet by all this stupid pale blue + yellow, or gray + yellow (or pink) design stuff that's been dominating all the stupid precious design blogs for the last several years, the ones with all the fake wood-grain looking backgrounds, silhouettes of everything, swirly Photoshop line drawing collages, birds on branches everywhere, and darling little shy forest deer peering out from behind everything?

Does anyone even know what I'm talking about?

All I know is, if I see one more twee little ironically adorable woodland creature on yet another tissue-jersey skinny t-shirt or ugly vintage fabric tote bag "handcrafted" by some frustrated artsy-sensitive stay-at-home mom (no offense, anyone!), I am going to pull my eyes out by the roots.

P.S. Usually I don't like to post this type of complaint here ... Better just to make my own stuff – stuff that I do like! – and ignore the rest. But lately I'm feeling like these overdone design trends are totally contaminating, polluting and corrupting my sense of design – and yet – I can't seem to avoid being exposed to them constantly. It's like being trapped in a room full of other people smoking. I may never light up myself, but I still walk out reeking of it. Argh!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Perhaps you'd like to post a link or two, with descriptive words...

Hey, you may have suggested a new webaward, for design: could be for good and bad design, like Joan Rivers and her daughter, um, Sparkles Rivers?

Crunchies are stupid; we want Toveys!

1/11/2008 8:10 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Tinies?

1/11/2008 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home