Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A little more info

I just re-read my last post and realized it sounds kind of like I'm wanting to avoid this new person for the same reasons I avoided Cynthia. In a way, it's true – I want to avoid her because I feel uncomfortable around her – but it isn't because she's awkward and unpopular, because she isn't. This new person is someone I started out highly inclined to like, until I spent enough time with her to start seeing some ways in which she is, or at least appears to me to be, not quite honest or trustworthy, not to mention manipulative and possibly even (dare I say) Machiavellian ....

So the question I'm pondering is not how to relate to the unpopular among us, because I think I've already more or less mastered that. It's more, how to be appropriately civil and sociable, and not draw undue attention to my negative feelings about a person, while still protecting myself from what I perceive to be that person's subtle aggression and possible predatory tendencies, and also at the same time not pissing off the as-yet-un-clued-in people in authority who reportedly (if the person is to be believed) think this person is not only the cat's meow, but also its pajamas.

I myself remain to be convinced. Believe it or not, in this instance I would love to be proven wrong – I would much rather make a new friend than have it confirmed that I really do need to be constantly on alert when this person is around.

Am I sounding intriguing and mysterious enough for ya yet? I really don't mean to be dramatic ... it is interesting to me, though, to see myself reacting in this situation. It's been awhile since I've had to spend much time around anyone who really makes me uncomfortable. I don't like it, but it's turning out to be useful, in a way.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I l'd-ol when I read meow and pajamas.

Queen Elizabeth is reported to say, "Thank you." and take two steps back when she's done talking to someone.

The main thing is to beat this bitch at her own game. Be very very sweet but refuse any invitations and have some reason to leave the room or ask for privacy any time she's around. Also, ask other peers if they've noticed such-and-such behaviors or if it's just your imagination. Audibly praise this hoyden at every turn. Tightly weave the rope you play out to her to hang herself. And do not sacrifice yourself on the altar of her hypocrisy.

12/19/2007 9:29 AM  
Blogger Julie Turley, Kingsborough Librarian said...

Wow, I am very, VERY intrigued. But I think Jason up there has some good ideas.

I have been in similar situations with similar people and have not handled it well.

12/21/2007 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home