Thursday, August 07, 2008

Enough with the cupcakes already


I know I've already mentioned this but I am really – no, seriously – very tired of this trend, fad, fashion or whatever it is, of grown-up adult-type humans trying to re-live their childhood – their Very Early childhood. If I hear about one more fancy six-buck cupcake shop with swings and seesaws instead of tables and chairs and long lines of childless 36-year-old twee woman "designers" in pigtails and precious candy-colored frocks I think I'm going to puke.

This commercial is a great example of what I'm talking about. What's wrong with these people? Didn't anyone ever tell them you don't have to pretend to be four to eat candy if you want to? That's the great thing about being a grownup! You can have candy any time you feel like it.

The interesting question (to me at least) is, why does this bother me so much? What do I care how other people act? Isn't it possible it might even be good for society for people to lighten up a little and return to some of the simple pleasures of pre-school?

Naps, for instance. I'm a great proponent of naps. Even cupcakes I don't mind so much – in theory. I can't deny their cuteness, and sometimes they even taste good.

Maybe I'm just uptight about my own childhood.

In any case, I'm ready for the next food trend to take root and start crowding this cupcake thing back down to its appropriate size. Because while I'm well aware that complaining about stupid food fads is boring as hell, until I start seeing some movement toward more sensible items like toast, pie and/or broiled potatoes, I just don't see how I have any choice but to continue.

P.S. While looking for that commercial at the top, I came across this provocative video that also deals with the 100-calorie phenomenon. Make of it what you will.

1 Comments:

Blogger 2whls3spds said...

Nostalgia? Return to a childhood they never had? I have a suspicion that an entire generation or possibly two never had a real childhood, their parents had them do everything and never gave them free time to be children. Too many planned activities, still see it today. We created our own things to do when we were kids, rode bikes to the library on Saturday's or the town park, hung out at the corner gas station, etc.

Aaron

8/16/2008 1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home