Friday, July 25, 2008

Straps


Inspired (perpetually, it seems) by the great writermama, I present today a shot of a kind of strange trend I'm seeing a lot of this summer – the exposed bra strap. The big photo is just for context; because this is such a small town, I'm providing the detail in a more anonymous fashion, like so:

Note that this isn't just a bra strap, it's also a camisole strap. So this woman has on not one or even two layers, but three layers of tight, supportive knitty-type fabric. Sounds hot to me, but then what do I know? She also has amazing skin and hair, and a really cute baby. The stripes are cute too, I think. Because I have a highly patterned skin, I normally almost never wear patterned fabrics of any kind – with all my freckles it just makes everything a little too busy and exhausting – but I've always had a thing for stripes.

About the location: it's one of my favorite Thai cafes, which happens to be less than a block from my office. It has eight tables and a beautiful pressed-tin ceiling.



In other news, remember how I was complaining about how everything is supposed to be so goddamn speedy, cheerful and productive these days? Mr. A has the tv on in the other room and I just heard an investment banking commercial, which ends with the words, "Do we let the wind just blow, or the sun just shine? No. This is America – we put them to work."

This is exactly what I'm talking about. If banks and ad agencies now think they're in charge of what the sun and the wind are allowed to do, well, then ... I just don't know what. Fortunately I'm pretty sure the sun and wind don't watch television.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

"Do we let the wind just blow, or the sun just shine? No. This is America – we put them to work."

Appalling. Let's move to Canada.

****

Exposed bra straps. I'm glad that's OK these days. I remember (and maybe you do too) painstakingly (and painfully) pinning bra straps to the inside of clothing with little gold safety pins that never really did a very good job of concealing the straps anyway and invariably popped open. Ouch!

7/26/2008 10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, the straps are interesting, but that FLOOR pattern is fabulous! Seriously, I'd make a quilt of it - any chance you could send me a picture of it taken straight on? Are they painted tiles? I can't really tell from this picture.
kimbobim

7/26/2008 10:00 AM  
Blogger JT said...

looks like a great restaurant! and i always appreciate a fashion post! the best thing Madonna ever did, imho, was make it fashionable to show your underwear.

7/27/2008 10:41 AM  
Blogger megnluv said...

bra straps what a pain, but you should check this out i found these really pretty glass beaded bra straps called Strappity-Do-Da and the y are awesome. super comfortable and they wont snag on your clothes. i wear mine almost everyday and they dont break or hurt but momst of all they are gorgeous check them out www.strappity.com

7/28/2008 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home