Saturday, August 16, 2008

Oh, and fashion


I keep forgetting to do it on Friday. Anyway – here's something. I saw these great-looking women at a big concert in the park. My friend actually spotted them and came to get me from the other side of the park, because she knew I would love their fabulous black platform sandals. They were probably the only people on the plaza who were wearing all black.

It's still funny to me that this town is so small and homogenous that you can easily tell the tourists from the locals. Certain types of people – women with big hair or anyone wearing lots of gold jewelry, for example – stick out like a sore thumb. Or is it like that everywhere? I actually have a bunch more photos of people who are obviously not from around here ... Like these folks, for instance.

The men were talking and gesticulating and eating and the woman was mostly fussing with her food – an artichoke salad – which one of the men finally had to show her how to eat. After she had tasted a little of the salad part, she started complaining about how there was nothing to this dish, at which point the man nearest her said, "You're supposed to eat the leaves, you know. And the middle – that's the best part."

She thought it was disgusting, and he ate the rest.

Clearly not a Californian.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear lord, please sit me right next to the person who does not want their artichoke! Have I ever had such good fortune, EVER?
Love from,
Clearly A. Californian
(guess who!)

8/17/2008 8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home