Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Post script (response to comments)

Wow, people really like this topic!

The slip doesn't solve the problem of people seeing up your dress while you're riding a bike. That's what the leggings are for. The slip solves the problem of the leggings causing your dress to bunch up in front when you walk. Plus it's just kind of fun to go around all day knowing you're wearing a beautiful piece of old-fashioned underwear under all your other clothes. And if the delicate old fabric ends up ripping or falling apart one day – well, it was still five bucks well spent.

I love antique unmentionables and am still hoping that someday I may be small enough again to fit into an ancient pink lacy girdle (with strings and garters and everything) that I picked up at DI in college and used to wear a lot 20+ years ago. At one point I had quite a collection of that stuff, incredibly engineered and gorgeously embellished foundation garments that women threw away in the 70s and 80s when it finally became acceptable to Not wear them anymore. So many of those things were just beautifully made – still wearable after 50+ years – nothing like the throwaway underwear most people wear nowadays (though I know better stuff still exists, for those who are able to afford it).

The older I get the more I appreciate elastic and laces and other structural elements that make it possible for a body like mine to achieve at least the illusion of firmness – not every day, but on occasion. I'm really glad though that we're no longer "expected" to wear them – that really would feel oppressive.

As for the slips, those are not about structure at all, but more about texture and flow. They just feel good. The color is a lot of fun too. That's something new for me; I always used to just wear 'em like I found 'em.

Speaking of dye, if anyone knows of a good black I would love to try it. Most of the blacks I've used end up just really dark purple, which is not what I'm looking for at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home