Friday, September 19, 2008

A disturbing scene

They were driving in a truck – he was driving, it was an old-fashioned English truck and she turned her head to the right to look at him. His white enormous hands on the wheel, ten and two. Eyebrows raised, fat stub of cigar clenched in his teeth (just from the habit – not lit), lips pulled back. At one time his hair had been nice but not on this day; it was thin and dry, bristly. His skin looked bad, too.

"Still dead then, are you?" she said.

"Oh yeah," he said, talking around the cigar, and opened his jaws to laugh. The cigar fell out and she saw the pale putty-colored roof of his mouth. "I've been dead a loooong time."

Just then the truck went over a deep pothole in the dusty road. They were bounced against the low ceiling of the cab and thrown back into their seats. That was when she woke up.

And knew he didn't love her anymore.
________

I don't know just what this dream is about but it's stayed with me all day. The man in the dream was my old buddy-slash-antagonist Jack, who died a few months ago – someone I never had anything like that kind of relationship with when he was alive.

Usually when someone appears in an obviously symbolic role in some dream, it's pretty clear to me what they represent. This one, I will have to think about.

It started raining this afternoon, the first real rain in months. I know it won't last but I'm enjoying it, washing all the dust away.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home