Friday, August 22, 2008

For your (diabetic) reading pleasure

Posting this way doesn't let me embed the links, but you should still be able to read the URLs:

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/08/is-diabetes-eating-disorder.html

http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2008/08/is-diabetes-eating-disorder-take-two.html

I'll say again that this site is the best source I've found anywhere for useful information on diabetes. She's the person who helped me move from terror and despair toward hope and empowerment (in fact, she quoted from one of my emails to her on the back of her book!).

I haven't written about my health issues for awhile and that's because I get tired of thinking about them and can't imagine that others would find them interesting. These posts of Janet's, especially the second one, have piqued my interest again though – especially her description in paragraph three of the supposedly "obsessive" food-related behaviors diabetics engage in. I do everything on that list and more. It's really kind of exhausting, if I give myself time to stop and think about it.

On the other hand, as with so many other things in life (everything in life, maybe) most of how I feel about it seems to depend on how I choose to think about it, and even more importantly, what I actually DO about it. This is where meditation practice really helps – if for no other reason than that it's helped me see how fluid and insubstantial thoughts really are, even – or maybe even especially – the ones that seem most Serious, Important or even Urgent. In fact, regardless of their content, they're all still just thoughts. And as the saying goes, I try not to believe everything I think.

Just do what needs to be done, even if it looks obsessive and kind of crazy to people who don't understand.

There are a lot of people who don't understand.

I could go on and on (and on) about this, and maybe sometime I will.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home