Monday, January 12, 2009

Back to our regularly scheduled stupidity

Okay, time for some diversion. The search for the ultimate badass boots has been resumed, and today I came across these beauties:


Oh my.

Actually I'm thinking just the regular old shortie engineer boots ought to do just fine.

Although really, if the winter continues the way it's been going so far, I'll be back in sandals before I get a chance to break these babies in. It was over 85º here today, with more warmth forecast for the rest of the week. In fact, it's 10:30 at night right now, and the thermometer in the middle of our back yard reads 71º!

This might sound great to people who are trapped in snow or ice or freezing wind, but actually it's kind of scary. Where's the rain this year? Last night I walked all the way across a creek that's usually waist-deep at this time of year – without getting my feet wet. It's not just that the water is low. There is no water.

Mr. A is in the know about things like this and he says that actually the snow pack and other sources are at about 90% of their usual levels for mid-January – it's just that the water table's so low, all the snow melt is percolating straight into the ground instead of flowing on the surface. And actually, the creek we live on is still flowing under the ground – you can see a few inches of water seeping out in at least one or two places where the creek bed takes a dive.

I'd still like to see some rain again though.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those boots! Craig and I watched "Kinky Boots" on BBCAmerica the other night - except for the heel height, these would fit right in.

It's 40 degrees here today, supposed to be around 38-40 for the rest of the week. I'd be worried about this temperature in January, but our snow pack readings are all above average for this time of year. And we'll probably get slammed again soon. I've got 2 feet of snow in my yard, so it's blindingly brilliant out there. For today, I'm taking Jasper for a long walk and enjoying the sunshine!

1/13/2009 12:23 PM  
Blogger JT said...

crazy, amazing boots!

1/16/2009 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home