Monday, June 01, 2009

Happy birthday, Taterman!

Today is Tater's birthday. He's eleven years old. Celebrations include games with Kongs, cheeseburgers and a box of original flavor Frosty Paws.

We've been sort of sporadically looking at puppies, though still have no official plans to step up the search. A shelter not too far from here has this little beauty available – a baby pit bull with very human-looking eyes. I swear I did not Photoshop her picture. Isn't she great? The tiny little claws and everything?
In other news, in the last week I finished two huge projects – the summer issue of my huge quarterly work project, and a new website and blog for one of my freelance clients. As if that weren't enough excitement, I am also on the verge of beginning to shop for a replacement for my 30-year-old folding hair dryer. Not that there's anything really wrong with it – it still works just as well as it did the day my mom said I could snag it from my brothers' downstairs bathroom, to take with me to college. That was in the fall of 1983, and it was already several years old then. But the other day we were in one of those bedroom, linen & shower curtain stores and I somehow managed to become mesmerized by all the different kinds of new hair dryers they had ... cool colors, mysterious and scientific-sounding new "hair drying technology" and a guarantee that they no longer need to fry the hair in order to dry the hair .... which in a roundabout way is probably the reason my 30-year-old dryer has lasted so long – because it gets so hot I've rarely used it. It's also very noisy and has a tendency to suck my hair into the motor, which causes the hair to snarl and burn. And sometimes, when I look inside, the coil is glowing red.

So yeah. Lots going on at chez tinarama. Stay tuned.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

Your hair dryer sounds terrifying--especially the part about the glowing red coil!

Did you ever have a "hot comb?" I had one (of course). They were the poor man's (poor woman's) blow dryer in the '70s. They were a cheaper (in every way) than a legitimate Warren Beatty Shampoo-style blow dryer.

6/01/2009 10:25 PM  
Blogger JT said...

wow, i love hearing about your hair dryer history. i am fascinated by all the new fangled appliances, too. i have never had much patience for drying my hair. congrats on finishing your projects! if i had your mad skills it would be far easier for me to get a library job.

6/02/2009 8:54 AM  
Blogger JT said...

i love that Rozanne mentioned Warren Beatty in Shampoo. one of my favorite movies and it features lots of cool hair drying!

6/02/2009 8:55 AM  
Blogger JT said...

and YES, HAPPY BDAY to TATER!

6/02/2009 8:57 AM  
Anonymous kimbobim said...

Happy Birthday to Tater! I still need to send you the photos from my trip - I got some good shots of his cute little face. I remember that hair dryer! I rarely ever blow dry my hair, too, and had the same half-broken dryer for YEARS (the switch was broken so you just had to plug it in to turn it on) until Laura bought me a new one for my birthday. It's shiny and chrome looking - the little girls LOVE it.

6/03/2009 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So that's were my hair dryer went!! You're Busted.

6/03/2009 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home