Thursday, April 02, 2009

Now resting in peace


It's done.

Last night was the first night in years that the Jeeps did not sleep in the doorway of my room, guarding my bed. Instead he slept on his towel in front of the fireplace and I dozed on the couch, keeping watch over him for a change.

This morning I got the vet on the phone as soon as the office opened, and he was able to recommend a different clinic that does house calls. So I made the appointment and then sat with the Jeeps and fed him little bits of Milkbone and roasted chicken, which he sharked down as usual – a last little bit of pleasure I'm glad I got to see him enjoy. At 11 a.m. two sweet young blonde vet techs arrived with a little case of equipment and a yellow and red blanket. I held the Jeeps with one hand petting his forehead and the other hand on his heart, and in just a few minutes it was over.

As odd as it may sound I'm really grateful I got to be with him at that moment. For one thing, my being there meant Mr. A didn't have to be, and that was a good thing. He'd already said good-bye several hours earlier, before he left for work. He was so distraught he didn't want to see the very end, and I didn't think there was any reason to press him on that. I've finally learned to trust that most people know what they need in situations like this.

For me, staying present and engaged seems to be the least painful approach, even when the situation pretty much sucks. Denial, distraction, resistance, euphemizing, rehearsing the impending imagined drama over and over again inside my head – doing that makes me feel trapped, strangled, clouded and overwhelmed, in addition to sad.

Now, when I think back to this day, I'll know we both did everything we needed to do, for ourselves, for each other, and for the Jeeps. I feel like my experience of knowing and loving him is as complete as it's possible to be.

So that's it. The blankets and towels are in the dryer, his dish is washed and put away. I searched the house and yard for any final errant poops and disposed of them. Before the vets arrived I took a few pictures, though I don't expect Mr. A will want to see them, and made a paw impression in clay and clipped some hair for a memorial piece to be made later. These things I've set aside until ... I guess until the time feels right to mention they exist.

In the meantime, there doesn't seem to be anything else to say except that even after all this time and anticipation it still feels pretty unreal to know he's really, truly gone.

5 Comments:

Blogger athena said...

rest in peace, jeeps!

4/02/2009 3:05 PM  
Anonymous kimbobim said...

What a sweet photo of his cute little face. Give Mr. A hugs from all of us - we love you guys.

4/02/2009 4:20 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

What a sweet photo. The Jeeps must be one of the most photogenic dogs ever.

We had the vet come to our house when it was time to put our 17-year-old cat the Boss down. It is much the best for everyone I think to do the house call thing. It sounds like the Jeeps's last moments were as peaceful and untraumatic as they possibly could be.

****

Weird coincidence, but isn't that bowl by the Jeeps a Circa Ceramics piece? My sister is very good friends with the two Circa Ceramics artists (they live in Chicago) and has a cupboard full of their coffee mugs and bowls and a fridge door covered in their magnets. I have a number of their pieces as well and have met both of them--they are super-nice people.

Anyway. Take care.

4/02/2009 9:51 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I'm weeping for your loss, for how beautiful you made the final time, how lovely your friendship has been, how all who live must die, how you must miss him.

Our love to you.

4/03/2009 12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are such hard, sad decisions, T dear. Thank you for writing about your beautiful last hours with him.
My love and thoughts are with you and Mr. A.
--g

4/04/2009 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home