Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The sky remains

Ran across this today from Rilke's Book of Hours. It's just a fragment from the end of something – not the whole poem.

Through the empty branches the sky remains. It is what you have.
Be earth now, and evensong.
Be the ground lying under that sky.
Be modest now, like a thing
ripened until it is real,
so that he who began it all
can feel you when he reaches for you.

I feel like my life is becoming more and more modest these days. I mostly like it, very much. Although I do still question myself, sometimes. Seems like as a younger person I often felt like I should be trying to make a big splash in the world, creating something spectacular to offer up – but something in me always resisted stepping into the spotlight. It still does. Is that lazy and fearful, and selfish? Or is it really OK to stay humble and human-scaled, to share with fellow beings quietly and one-on-one, instead of on the rock star stage?

I think it is OK. Just making sure I actually do that – connect with people in my own way, give what I can even though it's small and not many people will ever see it – that's what matters to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home