Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Another post about death!



So we went to the Día de los Muertos exhibit last night. It was gorgeous, as usual. And this time it contained something I found disturbing: a simple altar built around the name of a woman I used to work with. I knew she'd been hospitalized a couple of years ago with complications from a brain aneurism, but the last I'd heard she'd made a full recovery and was doing great.

Has she died since then? The wording on the altar is unclear. I made a few phone calls today and nobody else knew anything either, so I'm going to assume that she's the person who made the altar, not the person being commemorated by it. But then, why was her name in the middle? I'm no expert on Mexican folk tradition, but my impression is that this is not how these things are typically done. Maybe, because she's an artist, she felt compelled to sign her work? Hrmrmm.

As for me, I've printed the photo of Stuart that Julie posted, and pulled together a few little mementos of other friends and loved ones who've passed, and tonight I'll be lighting a little candle and spending some time celebrating their lives.

The photo at the top is from The Skull Project, which commemorates all those killed in Iraq at this time last year. It was big news, around here at least, when the 2000th American was killed there earlier this month. Where will we be by next November?

Last year at some rally I bought one of these big yellow plastic bike signs that says, "Bicycling: a quiet statement against oil wars." Everyone's so hostile, defensive and self-righteous these days that I've never had the guts to actually hang it on my bike; I don't want to get squashed by some Hummer-driving patriot who thinks I need to learn a thing or two about supporting our boys. Beyond that, I don't think people's minds are changed by being insulted or yelled at, even by a "quiet statement" on the back of someone's bike. I would like people to realize, though, when they see me riding, that I'm not just doing it because I need to lose some weight. It really is a political statement for me, and very personal. What if I made a sign that said, "One less car—more room for you! (please don't run over me)"?

Something to think about. If you've seen any positive, happy, and thought-provoking pro-bike propaganda, leave me a link in the comments! I have a huge list of bookmarks for stuff like that. Maybe I'll post those one of these days.

1 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

I've seen those "quiet statement" bike signs here. Often they are on very large signs. You're right--they don't seem so quiet somehow. I'll think on a slogan for you.

I have a t-shirt that says: "Get Rid of Sadaam; Ride a Bike!" But that seems a bit out of date now.

11/02/2005 4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home