Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Just do one thing different

Or two, or three or four.

In an effort to snap myself out of my recent funk, I have done the following:

1. Volunteered to join the executive committee of the board of directors I'm on. This means more meetings and more work, but it also means that instead of just reporting on my negligible fundraising activities, I now get to express opinions that may influence the direction the organization will be taking over the next few years, which is important to me because I'm not so sure I like where I think our new ED is trying to go with it. There are already plenty of arts organizations around here that pander to the wealthy elite. I want to make sure that as our organization grows, poor working folks (like me, though nobody else on the board seems to see me that way—little do they know) have MORE access to classes, scholarships, and other benefits we're trying to provide. Not less. I haven't taken a class there in three or four years, primarily because it's too expensive.

2. Accepted a couple more freelance jobs. One is to develop web content for a friend whose campaign I worked on last year, who's now kind of a politically influential person in town. I'm looking forward to doing some writing again, even if it is just basic business writing.

3. Called friends for drinks and dinner. Yeah, most people might not think this is such a big deal, but to me, it kind of is. So I did it. We're having Nepalese food tonight. Yum.

4. Searched for and found the backup CDs of my iTunes, reinstalled them, and, to celebrate, downloaded a bunch of old Bee Gees stuff from the Saturday Night Fever days. This is an album I wanted SO BAD when I was a kid, but I wasn't allowed to have it because my parents thought the movie was too risque. I spent countless hours listening to it anyway, at my friend Jenny's house. And now, finally, I have my own copy! I feel so ... adult.

Anyway. Small things. But sometimes small things are all you really need.

1 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

I'm so glad you're posting more often again, and yes! put up some photos. But it does seem to be a pain, doesn't it? I'd love to see your part of the world.

10/20/2005 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home