Friday, November 25, 2005

Happy freaking holidays

I've just learned that I am not getting even one day off for Christmas this year. I'd foolishly assumed that because Christmas falls on a Sunday, we would be getting Monday off. My plan was to fly to my family on Christmas Eve (so as not to inconvenience anyone at work by taking Friday off), and return on Tuesday.

Now I find out we don't get Monday off. Instead, we get a voucher for a day off of our choice, at some other time of year.

My boss informs me that we are too understaffed to let anyone have even a single day off that week, except for herself (she's taking off the whole week) and one part-time person, who requested his time off all the way back in July. Which I should have done myself, and would have, had I had any idea that our so-called "holiday" schedule was ... well, that there wasn't one. That there will be not one single day off for Christmas. What kind of holiday is that?

Damn. It's not so much that I love flying in the dead of winter, or fighting crowds at the airport, or dealing with holiday traffic, or driving on icy snow-covered roads. I'd just as soon spend Christmas at home, and visit my family some other time, when the weather's nicer and there are fewer people travelling. But if I go at Christmas, then I get to see my three sisters too. If I go some other time, it's just my parents and brothers.

Actually, it could have been worse. At least we get the @$*#(& voucher. Last time Christmas was on a weekend, the company I was working for didn't even give us that. They just figured everyone was already getting the day off, since it was a weekend, and chalked it up to two days worth of everyone's pay that they wouldn't have to be shelling out of their own pockets. This was the same place where the red-faced hysterical owner, after I took a sick day, accused me of taking money right out of his pocket every day I was sick — shaking his wallet in my face and screaming, with a vein bulging out of his forehead .... That was an awful job.

Anyway. I'm feeling pissed at my company and annoyed with myself for not asking for the time off earlier. Sometimes I really hate being a wage slave.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

"This was the same place where the red-faced hysterical owner, after I took a sick day, accused me of taking money right out of his wallet every day I was sick — shaking his wallet in my face and screaming, with a vein bulging out of his forehead ...."

That guy sounds deranged. I have no problem believing that that was an awful job.

Hope it works out that you can take time off this year.

11/27/2005 11:52 AM  
Blogger JT said...

Tinarama,

That sucks. Is your product really so important that the boss can't stagger the employees to give them each a Christmas day around that time.

It seems really, really unfair--and actually really very unusual--that they don't give you a day when the holiday is gobbled up by the weekend.

How Ebeneezer Scrooge of them! Did anyone call your boss that at least behind her back?

11/27/2005 4:27 PM  
Blogger brad-o-ley said...

what are you talking about - no day off for Christmas! that's outrageous. we'll miss you if you can't make it but will understand. hope it all works out.

BBT

11/28/2005 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home