Friday, April 21, 2006

My affliction

You know that scene in Affliction where Nick Nolte pulls out his own tooth with the pliers? I spent a good three hours thinking about that scene last night, sitting up in bed with my nose running and my eyes puffing up and my swollen sinuses pounding against the roots of my teeth. I was breathing okay when I went to bed, but by 2 a.m. I was so congested I felt like I was going to drown. In my pissed off misery I kept remembering Nick Nolte, thinking that if only I could get rid of my aching teeth I might finally be able to relax and get some sleep ....

It's been like this for several nights in a row: shallow tortured breathing, throbbing eyes and sinuses, and weird nightmares. Basically I'm sleep deprived, oxygen deprived, and totally exhausted. As of this morning though I can tell I'm over the worst of it, and I'm looking forward to getting some good work done today – finally! Actually I'm kind of putting off getting started, because I'm afraid of everything I have to do today and I'm trying to live in denial for as long as possible. So far I've fixed my computer, run the disk utility, made tea, blown my nose, peeled an orange, cut up a long roll of paper towel for napkins ....

Eh. Blah. I really wish I could just go back to bed. I should just delete this whole boring post. I'm only writing because writing is my security blanket when I feel like a cranky overwrought two-year-old, and if I can't have a nap, at least I can rub my blankie a little bit before I get to work.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This product has changed my sinus cold life. Get thee to a drugstore! http://www.medshopexpress.com/044536.html

4/21/2006 1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My alergies are REALLY bad. I take Clairitan D everyday from March to November (BAD) and if it doesn't work well enough I take benedryl also. The two drugs don't interact so it is safe. (Told to me by my alergist doc.) It's a lot of drugs but it keeps me alergy free for 9 months.
This season will be worse than most because of all the rain we had.

4/22/2006 8:57 AM  
Blogger JT said...

Eeeyow! I can feel your misery throbbing in this post! Take care, Tina! Feel better soon.

4/24/2006 7:25 PM  
Blogger JT said...

And oddly, Affliction is one of the few films I've seen in a theatre in the last ten years. (I think I see about one film every 18 months or so in a theatre. Sadly.)

4/24/2006 7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home