Friday, July 28, 2006

The dress


The look I'm going for (since you asked) is somewhere between the woman on the left, and the woman on the right. And no, I don't mean the pantsless little one in the middle!

I was thinking about it last night and realized that my fascination with all this stuff is about wanting to get closer to my grandmother, who died in 1989. Possibly as a way of getting closer to my dad? Hmm. Anyway, it was nice to think of her for awhile last night as I was working and listening to some novelty songs from the 1920s (just picked this up & highly recommend it, if you like that sort of thing). This kind of music reminds me of my grandfather, whom I don't remember but who I know loved playing and singing. Must write more about all this sometime.

The dress turned out good. I'm wearing it right now and am realizing, however, that I'm going to need to adjust the straps – one of them keeps wanting to slide off my shoulder.

While I'm at it, here's another great Depression-era photo I found that I really like. It reminds me of all the stories of my relatives, except for the tobacco hanging up behind them (also the man's hat – I don't think anyone in my family has ever worn a hat like that). One of these days I'm going to figure out how to make dresses with sleeves and then there'll be no stopping me!

Next project: aprons. I love making aprons – they're fast, easy, cheap, fun and so utilitarian! If you would like me to make you one, just email me at tinarama [at] earthlink.net and let me know where to send it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Foobario said...

I'm having a hard time picking out a summer fashion for myself - should I emulate the guy wearing his PJs (or are those Jesus Jammies?) under his overalls, or the pantsless child? In this heat I'm gravitating towards pantslessness, but out of respect for those around me I may have to compromise and go with the overalls.

Decisions, decisions.

7/28/2006 5:47 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Congrats on finishing the dress! I'm kind of drawn to those Depression-era dresses, too. Great pix, too. I've seen the one at the top before. It's pretty famous, isn't it? I can never remember the name of the photographer.

Thanks for the link to the CD. That kind of music is right up my alley! I just reserved a copy of it at our wonderful library that always has everything and saves me a lot of money. If another depression comes, my frugality skills are in place.

7/29/2006 9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like an apron!

Tina, I'm enjoying your posts so much from Utah. I am still here, and don't have your email address on the computer I am using.

I think you should maybe move to Davis!

7/31/2006 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home