Friday, February 22, 2008

The lipstick!


I'm glad you asked.

I love this stuff! First of all, it smells sort of vaguely rose-like, which is nice at this time of year. Second, it really stains the lips – and I'm always looking for a good strong stain, since I'm too lazy to keep remembering to reapply lipstick all day long.

Third, it is not glossy, slippery, or "super-moisturizing" – in other words, it does not float on top of the lips like an oil slick, only to smear or be wiped away the first time I pull my sweater over my head, or absent-mindedly pass my sleeve across my face while reaching for something on a high shelf. It sort of more sticks to the lips, bringing me to ponder the name of the product: is it because it's shaped like a stick, or because it's sticky? Hmm. Personally, I prefer a formulation that stays put. I'm thinking of the waxy old lipsticks my sister and I found in my grandmother's basement after she died ... who knows what was in them, but they really did stay on. I wish I'd kept one of them, just for comparison.

Fourth, it comes in a gold metal tube, which I like because I'm trying to get plastic of my life right now. Plus, it won't crack if you accidentally step on it while getting out of the car (assuming you've just dropped the entire contents of your dirty red messenger bag on the ground while descending from the cab of a truck that is everlastingly too tall).

Fifth, it's supposed to be good for you. All holistic & shizzit. Shea butter, carrot extract, rose and jojoba waxes, plus "colors from nature" to highlight your natural tones ... I'm quoting the Web site, which has all kinds of good information about how to take care of your skin and body AND the earth, "naturally and holistically," while spending inordinate amounts of money on yourself, and at the same time, somehow supporting good causes around the world – so even though it's makeup, and rather expensive (or maybe not – twenty bucks and change for a lipstick, plus shipping?), you can feel good about yourself for being part of something positive. Here's more info about the company's "ethical business initiatives." Anyway, I hardly ever buy or wear makeup, so I figure it's okay to spend a few bucks once or twice a year when I do feel like getting something. (Translation: I'm not vain, I promise! And why do I always feel the need to justify myself?)

They make a great sunscreen too, though I now understand the whole "protect yourself from skin cancer" schtick is nothing more than a marketing scheme to sell more products by increasing fear ... Whatever. I never wore it as a kid, or any time at all until just a few years ago, and now I wish I had. Or that I'd worn hats or something. Wrinkles are appearing. Anyway – I like the sunscreen for sensitive skin, and the quince day cream.

And now: off to the northerly parts of the valley, to return a cute little alarm clock I bought on impulse last weekend, only to find out it (alas) does not keep time worth a damn.

By the way – the #6 totally reminds me of you, J (it's why I picked it!). It's more like the red in the big tube above, not like the little round sample smear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Here's to your getting plastic of your life.

Freudian?

2/22/2008 11:10 AM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

Lipstick is the only makeup I ever wear. My gripe with lipsticks (on of them) is that if it's breezy strands of my hair end up getting stuck to my lips. It sounds like that problem wouldn't happen with this Dr. H stuff.

Coincidentally, I just recently bought myself two new lipsticks. I was in the drugstore buying tampons and was in a foul,angry, and crampy mood and decided that I really didn't want to be the person standing in line with nothing but a box of tampons, so I started looking around for something to dilute my purchase with. I ended up with some scotch tape and those two lipsticks. What's amazing is that I felt sooo much better walking out of the store with those lipsticks than I had walking in. Amazing how a teensy extravagance (yes, I, too, have to justify my purchases of nonessentials) like that can provide such a pick-me-up.

2/23/2008 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home