Sunday, March 09, 2008

Do I dare?


Don't revile me – I can't help it! I have an innate and long-standing weakness for ridiculous shoes. The only question is whether these are ridiculous enough to qualify, or will people think I'm taking them seriously? The shoes I want this year must be funny and fun, comfortable, able to withstand lots of abuse (because I tend to wear the same shoes all season – and these would look better a little dirty anyway, I think) – all while also falling quite a bit short of being true fetish footwear ... because I don't want to freak anyone out too too badly.

I don't really care if platforms are so last year, or the year before that, or if they might even happen to be the current height of fashion. Probably they're not, although I actually haven't checked to see yet what people are supposed to be wearing this year. All I know is that spring is here, or almost, and except for the lipstick and my new green t-shirts I haven't given much thought at all to my transitional uniform. Gotta get right on that!

To those who may think shoes like this are impractical, I will concede that yes, they kind of are. But not prohibitively so. For example, as I told someone the other day, I've recently discovered it is possible to ride a bike in extremely high platform sandals – you just have to move the seat up a few inches. Or you can just change into them when you get there.

What shoes are YOU wearing this spring and summer?

4 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

OMG! I really like those shoes! Except that they are red (and not beige [thank god]), they are almost exactly like the platform sandals I really, really, really wanted when I was a sophomore or junior in high school. (I had to compromise and get something not quite as platformy.)

I wish platform shoes would stay in fashion forever. I need the height, but I don't need all my weight pressing forward onto the ball of my foot (and an incipient bunion). Platforms deliver height without pain! Yeah.

They are hard to drive in, but OK to walk in for short distances. Huge props to you for finding out that it is possible to ride a bike in platforms. That is a photo I would love to see!

3/10/2008 2:31 PM  
Blogger JT said...

I LOVE your shoe blog posts. They should be collected and published. These shoes are really wonderful, but alas, the incline is too sharp for my delicate feet. What is the brand? I saw a woman bicycling here in spiked boots so these would be even more practical.

3/11/2008 4:15 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

Love the shoes. Love the color of the shoes.

3/11/2008 8:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You should just go for it. Who cares if they are impractical. Life is too short to wear bad shoes.

3/12/2008 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home