Saturday, June 14, 2008

Vegas fashion (of sorts)


This is as close as I got to a Friday fashion shot ... a girl in a green blouse, supershort skirt and black boots striding through the airport in Las Vegas. I took several other shots of cool people while I was there – including a toddler in pigtails and sparkly plastic platform mermaid sandals, a creepy guy in junkie jeans and an armful of leather bracelets, and a young woman in a silver halter made mostly out of chains, swaying like a geisha on a pair of super-spiked silver and clear lucite fetish heels – but they did not come out. I'm liking the effects of the cheapie camera phone all the same, though. The grainy, sort of schizoid quality and muted, muddied colors feel familiar to me right now, vaguely comforting.

As I was driving along the bay coming home from Oakland last night the sun had gone down and heavy fog was rolling in, and it reminded me again how much this place feels like home to me now. I took some pictures from the car.







I like the sense of darkness and light in these; It made me wish I had the patience to learn how to paint. I would love to do a night skyline of the whole long ridge behind my house like this.

I have been enjoying the night time lately, so I guess it makes sense that these images would appeal to me. The quieter energy and coolness are soothing. The other night I took Tater for a walk just as the sky was fading to real darkness and it was just lovely, owls and mockingbirds and breezes, a few dim stars, the smells of green trees and the neighbor's hay field.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

I really like that first shot. Very (let's see if I can spell this) serendipitous the way parts of the bodies have kind of sublimated but you can still see what they're wearing.

6/16/2008 10:33 PM  
Blogger JT said...

i love this shots, and the painterly way in which you write.

6/17/2008 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home