Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Window seat
(Flying twice as fast in the opposite direction)

Just returned from a trip to Utah and Colorado during which I experienced this strange phenomenon while watching another jet zooming east at the same time I was zooming west toward home. Ever seen that? I actually did a double-take when it caught my eye through the window; the other plane seemed to be moving so fast it was almost like watching a UFO speeding across the sky.

I love flying above clouds. It feels so peaceful up there, especially when I'm sitting next to the window, because if I look out of it I can't see any of the other people – only the empty, beautiful, silent sky. It's just like ... flying ...

Trip report to follow. For now it's hot as ache-EEEE-double toothpicks and I just came in from two hours of lying completely submerged (except for my head and hands) in a tub of cold water out on the patio, reading (by actual lantern light, which seems appropriate) Wallace Stegner's epic account of the Mormon Trail experience. I've finally succeeded in lowering my core temperature enough to contemplate sleep ... so that is what I'm going to try to do.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been anxious to hear about your trip; glad you're back safe. i marvelled to read your flying above the clouds comment, especially since that's exactly what i was doing 24 hours ago on my trip back from Portland. I always feel, however, like I'm going to drop suddenly through the clouds, so I need to get your zen-like appreciation, instead.

7/13/2008 9:43 AM  
Blogger 2whls3spds said...

That is one of the few reason left to enjoy flying...window seats.

I like spotting airports from 35,000 feet too.

Aaron

7/14/2008 1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home