Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hunger

For the last few weeks I've been feeling really hungry again. Wanting to write about it, because it's driving me crazy and making me despair of ever feeling normal again ... and then deciding not to say anything, because it's boring and embarrassing.

Then this morning a friend emailed me a news story about this little girl near Seattle whose stepmom has been starving her for at least four years. I'll warn you, the story is disturbing, so don't click the link if this kind of thing gets to you.

The reason my friend told me about it is because the stepmom is someone I know. We used to work for the same company, and a few years ago she came here on vacation and stayed with me for several days. That visit was the most time I ever spent with her, and we had a blast. Our dogs liked each other, we went to the beach, we ate great food, etc. etc. .... And then she went back home and re-devoted herself to her relationship and sort of disappeared. Which people have been known to do, when they're "in love." Or torturing their boyfriend's daughter.

I'm a little bit in shock. My own experience of feeling hungry, so hungry I want to cry, is so real and painful and infuriating, but I only feel hungry because my metabolism is messed up. Not because I'm actually starving.

There just doesn't seem to be anything you can say when something like this happens. I liked her but I never knew her very well – I knew she'd had some "issues" and she definitely had kind of a dark, sarcastic side, but never in a million years would I imagine anything like this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

What a tragic story. It's hard to imagine how anyone could do something like that, let alone someone you actually once knew.

I'm glad the little girl is safe now.

10/14/2008 9:54 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

How strange, how very very strange. Shock is the appropriate response I think. To be so close to a story so tragic...

10/15/2008 1:04 AM  
Blogger JT said...

SO CRAZY. T, this must feel so strange for you! I'm kind of speechless.

10/15/2008 1:55 PM  
Blogger Marmite Breath said...

You're right, that was totally disturbing. Poor girl. I hope she can manage to have some semblance of a normal life.

10/31/2008 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home