Saturday, September 19, 2009

So, what else is new

Just got back (yes, at the very early hour of 7:54 p.m.) from a birthday party for a neighbor – who, as it turns out, is turning 27 in just a couple of days – and who, although you will not have heard of the man himself, comes from a family you very well may have heard of, if you're any kind of a foodie type of person in the United States of America ... his semi-famous father did make an appearance, and I found myself drawn to him – not so much as a moth to a flame, but rather as a mature woman of certain years (44, to be precise) is drawn to another mature human being – any human being – displaying gray curls and age-worn hands, when every other person present is perfectly beautiful in the manner of folks in their early to mid-20's ....

I'm getting old, dammit, is what I'm saying.

It was a nice party, and will certainly continue to be so, on into the night. If I were younger, I probably would have stayed. Maybe the fact that I was invited at all (by his girlfriend, a very cool woman I know from work, who is young enough to be my daughter) should be more important to me than the fact that I'm almost twice as old as most of the other people there ..... Really, the main reason I didn't stick around wasn't so much because of my age, but more because they all know each other and I didn't know anyone but my hosts, and also – more importantly – because I have some freelance work I really have to get done.

I enjoyed remembering when I lived in the middle of a large circle of friends like that. I loved it. Does anyone really still have that kind of life though, by the time they reach their mid-40s? Hmm. Undoubtedly some people do. I'm just not one of them. Most of my friends are too busy to do much hanging out of that sort. And I rarely have the energy to stay up much past my usual bedtime of around 10 p.m. One of my most favorite indulgences these days, in fact, is going to bed early – as early as I can – 8:00 or even 7:30 is the ultimate in luxury, assuming it's winter and dark enough to sleep. Not that I actually do it very often.

Funny ... as sad as it seems, sort of, to see myself as no longer young ... I actually really felt good riding away from the party sounds into the twilight, knowing Mr. A would be here, and we would sit down and have dinner and watch a little tv and go to bed early enough to get up at a reasonable time tomorrow, and get some puttering done around the house .....

Anyway. Just meditating on mortality. Middle age. All that fun stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger kimbobim said...

sleep is the ultimate luxury in my book. and nobody I know has a life like that in their 40's - at least, nobody I know that has kids, or a real job they have to show up for on time regularly.

going to bed now. we celebrated the Chilean Independance Day with three families/friends tonight and I'm leaving the last of the pots until tomorrow - the empanadas were wonderful!

9/21/2009 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home