Sunday, June 09, 2013

Level & square

Ready to frame out the decking for the floor. Laser level is my new favorite tool - without it this was taking forever and even then the accuracy left a lot to be desired. Now this floor is more level than the floor in our kitchen.
This is looking west, toward our neighbor's vineyard. We're planting a hedgerow for privacy along the fenceline, with space between the trees to maintain the wildlife corridor. I saw a little spotted fawn out there today trying to figure out how to get through to the other side ... I don't know why there needs to be a 10-foot fence on a less than 1-acre hobby vineyard, but that's the way it is. We do our best to make space on our side for animals to get where they need to go.
The pipe along the back wall is just to help me align the pier blocks. The chain link fence will come down after the building is finished, and the back will have a tall narrow window on one side framing a view of the Mayacamas range over our back field. If I position the window just right you won't even see the giant telephone pole that's planted right in the middle of the view from almost everywhere else on the property.
It doesn't show in this photo but there's a little fig tree growing just on the other side of the fence. It will be in shade for most of the day after the building goes up, which I think it will like just fine. At some point I plan to make a little shade garden back there.
One thing at a time, though.
Tomorrow I'll check my diagonal measurements one more time, and put together the first section of framing for the floor.
I did cut my hair short, by the way. Not super short, but much shorter than it's been in about 10 years. I'm liking it and may go even shorter in the next few weeks before my vacation.
Also, I've been pretty anxiety-free for awhile now but I had a full-on anxiety attack the day I started actually digging out the space. I sat in the living room crying, ready to ditch the entire project – until Mr. A said, "Put your boots back on, we're going to the lumber yard." Which we did. And I've been OK since then. I guess it shouldn't be surprising that I'd react that way to the actual beginning of a project I've been dreaming about and planning for over 20 years. I was surprised, though. I'd sort of thought (or maybe just hoped) I was done with all that.
I did get through the panic a lot faster than I used to, and I'm happy with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger puddle said...

Tina, how exciting to have actually begun! Delighted for you. You stay on my mind, you do. xox

6/21/2013 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home