Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Nothing to report
(but the soup was good)

Well, there's always something, I guess. Just sometimes not anything very interesting.

1. It was a fabulous fall weekend but because Mr. A was (is) sick with some weird fever and flu thing, we did not go to the bluegrass fest but instead stayed close to home. Long naps were taken, homemade pumpkin soup and chicken pot pie were, er, made (at home!) (by me!), and dogs' feet were cleaned to within an inch of their lives. The kitchen floor was also cleaned. Now that our house guests have come and gone I've pledged to never again let the floor return to the shocking state it was in before I scrubbed it down for their arrival.

2. That was a fun visit, by the way. A college friend who now lives in Seattle with her husband, plus lots of food and wine and talking late into the night, which I haven't done in such a long time. Thank you, friend, for visiting us! And come on back any time you like. The floor will be sparkling when you get here!

3. One of the naps was of the two-hour variety, and took place on a Therma-rest and a pile of pillows and blankets on the leaf-strewn ground under the big sycamore tree in our front yard. The branches are so long they touch the ground, creating a giant round room about 30 feet in diameter. These trees have enormous leaves and in the fall, when they're starting to dry out but are mostly still attached to the tree, they make the most thrilling shivery autumn leaves kind of sound when the wind blows. Lying on my back with all my pillows and blankets in that big blue and yellow room, looking up through the branches and listening to the leaves whisper, is one of my favorite ways to spend a warm autumn afternoon.

4. Last week Mr. A's old boss was in San Francisco for a meeting and invited us to meet him on Union Square for dinner, which we did. It was a perfect, warm, full-moon night – the kind that always makes me believe maybe I really could stand living in a city, after all – until the freezing fog rolls in and suddenly everything feels damp, dirty and dangerous again. I had a delicious sole (Petrale sole to be exact, which I have recently learned is not really a sole at all but, in fact, a flounder!) and was inspired by the black-and-brown (and very clean – I'm obsessed with clean floors now!) cork-tiled floor of the restaurant. It was an easy-going but elegant place, expensive and old-school, with dark polished wood paneling and waiters in long white aprons and those big heavy silver forks. I love that.

5. What else? Not much. My mom's cousin won a prize for growing one of the largest pumpkins in Idaho this year, weighing in at close to 1000 lbs. The boy whose desk is next to mine at work has been busted for Internet abuse and is now not allowed to go online anymore, so instead he listens to this horrible comedy station on iTunes radio, which is beginning to drive me crazy. He keeps the volume low so all I can really hear is people yelling as if they're really, really angry (I guess this passes for comedy in some places), but I can never understand what they're yelling about. I'm thinking of giving him a set of my old headphones as an early Halloween present. My neck and ribs have been hurting for the last nine hours or so, and I don't know why. Possibly I'm getting the same flu thing that Mr. A has had. Must take long hot bath and go to bed early tonight.

6. In case you're wondering, I think I really could go on listing random thoughts like this forever. But will not.

1 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

I'm sorry we both missed the bluegrass festival this year. We were also under the weather.
Definately next year!

10/12/2006 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home