Friday, December 01, 2006

Satsuma 2006

A small point of light appeared in an otherwise kind of dreary week last night when my beloved Satsuma tangerines FINALLY arrived at the grocery store. This is a day I look forward to every year and it couldn't have arrived at a better time. I bought a big bag full but waited until this morning to eat the first one, so I could enjoy it sitting in the sun in my favorite blue adirondack chair, out in the space where the alleged studio is going to be. I really needed that little moment of pleasure.

The photo here is the same one I used on Satsuma Day last year. I charged up the camera battery overnight planning to celebrate with a new photo documenting the occasion, only to find that even with a full charge I can now only take one photo before the camera informs me the battery pack needs to be changed. Maybe it's the charger, or maybe it's the battery (it's a new one, though), or maybe the camera is just past its prime. Whatever it is, I'm sick of it! I want a new camera. I want to be able to decorate this blog with good pictures of the beautiful things in my life.

So, I'm starting to do some research. The camera I have (the first generation Canon Elph) was great when it was new, but it's only 2.1 megapixels – crap by today's standards, even for viewing online. I like some of the new Elphs – or Powershots, as they're now called – and the quality seems to be good for the price (I don't want to spend more than about three or four hundred bucks). Anyone have a camera they love? I am taking suggestions.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a newer but not that new Canon Elph/Powershot. It's 3.8 megapixels. I love it cuz it's tiny and I can carry it around in my pocket.

It has some limitations--limitations that might really bother someone who isn't a total point-and-shoot person like myself. But then again a lot of them might be addressed by sitting down and trying to understand the manual.

Issues I have with it are that it doesn't always take very good closeups. I'm not sure if this is because I'm not holding the camera steady or if it just can't do it. Anyway, I'm sure you've seen some of my "soft focus" closeups.

Also, the flash is superpowerful--like more than it needs to me IMHO.

For some reason it's hard to take good pix of things that are white esp. roses and other white flowers in my garden. Again, this might be addressed if I read the manual.

All in all, though I'd say it's a great camera for the price and when it gives out, I'll get another one.

BTW: I'm sure the new versions have more than 3.8 megapixels.

12/02/2006 10:50 AM  
Blogger brad-o-ley said...

We bought a Canon Powershot A620 last year and have been really happy with it. It's 7.1 MP and has all the bells and whistles. Plus it takes video pretty well. The only issue is that it's pretty big compared to the Elf - but the features make it worth it - IMHO.

Check on CNET.com to see what they are recommending. I have had good luck with their advise over the years.

12/03/2006 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home