Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pumpkin seeds for dinner

For dessert, actually. And I guess technically it wasn't really a pumpkin, but more of a pumpkin-like dark orange very hard winter squash, with stripes. In any case, I ate some of it for dinner and while I was eating that I roasted some of its seeds, and I ate some of those after dinner.

As it turns out, dark orange winter squash is something I can still eat with no scary numbers appearing afterwards ... for which I'm very grateful, because it's one of my favorite things in all the world to eat.

Yesterday and for a few days prior to that I've been eating the remains of a gigantic spaghetti squash I baked on Sunday afternoon. One cup of it, mashed, has only 10 grams of carbohydrate. It's not the yummiest kind of squash I know of but it does pair well with many different kinds of amendments and since its carb count is so low I feel pretty free to amend away. Olive oil, toasted pecans, dried cranberries, a few fine shavings of Parmesan, butter, fresh cracked pepper .... yow.

I did celebrate Halloween today, just barely, by wearing an enormous handlebar mustache to work. The packaging proclaimed it to be made of real human hair, and insists (the sentence appears twice) that it will "drasticly disguise you appearance." I was inspired by a large portrait of the founder of the company I work for – my old boss's however-many-greats-grandfather. Almost nobody was able to guess the object of my homage, even though the portrait is prominently placed in an important person's office. The mustache was so itchy I had to take it off before the afternoon was over.

Halloween has always been my least favorite of all the major holidays, but one thing it has going for it is that as soon as it's over, that means it's time for my most favorite holiday – Dia de los Muertos. This afternoon at work I found myself thinking about the people I've lost this year, in particular a friend who at this time last year was getting ready to take the last trip of her life, to Italy, before returning home to get down to the business of dying in earnest. I was listening to a mix CD she sent me not long before she died and this song sort of struck me as having captured a certain feeling that I remember feeling last year, thinking of her and all the lives she must have imagined living, that she knew she would never get to live. It sort of makes me cry to hear it, but it makes me happy too, because she did have such a great imagination and a big heart and an ability to really live the life she had, even when she knew it wasn't going to be a long one. And I'm glad I got a chance to know her.

She's also the one who turned me on to this site where you can upload music to share with friends, for free. I put a copy of the song up there in memory of her today. Go listen to it here, and send out a good thought for Jill. I miss you, friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home