Saturday, November 10, 2007

New pillows

I will make up for my lack of an entry yesterday by writing a postscript to my entry from earlier today, in order to mention that in addition to the drawers, I also bought two new pillows at Ikea today (I guess to be correct I should spell it IKEA).

They're filled with duck down and feathers, not goose down, and I could see before I even unwrapped them that the construction is not exactly heirloom quality ... but for twenty bucks apiece (on sale!) I'm hoping they'll get me through until I get around to revamping my entire bedroom.

Normally I wouldn't spend any amount of money on something I know is not exactly what I want, but maybe if I like them I'll end up keeping them after all. Otherwise they will go the way of all other substandard pillows in our house, and become dog pillows.

Last time I bought pillows I spent a lot more money than I thought I should on beautiful fabric, special pillow protectors, goose down from Hungary, etc. etc. ... and they've been great, but now that they're past their prime I guess I'm seeing them for what they really are – not so much a symbol of how I want to honor and take care of my precious Self (because doggone it, I deserve it!), but as a basic, utilitarian (and eventually flat, flabby and possibly drool-stained) object I need in order to sleep well and be comfortable. If I can achieve that for forty bucks, why spend four hundred? Or however much a nice pair of beautiful goose down pillows costs these days?

Probably as with so many things the solution will lie somewhere between the extremes. I do have my doubts about the duck down and feathers, but am willing to be convinced. And either way, my current pillows are long past ready to be retired, so the dogs will be scoring at least two new additions to their respective lairs. Though I'm pretty sure Tater will be the only one who takes advantage of the opportunity – the Jeeps shows more irritation than interest and pushes them out of his way whenever I've tried to turn him on to the pleasure of pillows. He does love his electric dog bed heater, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home