Thursday, November 15, 2007

Pushups

So the other day I was trying to do some pushups, and I found out something embarrassing. From the knees I can do any number of them, but the real kind of pushups – from the feet – I can only do two of those.

The knee kind don't really count, do they? I mean – they're better than nothing. But they're not really real pushups. So I've set myself a goal: five real pushups by the end of the year. It's not an enormous improvement but I think it's achievable. And once I've achieved it I can always make a new goal.

I've been working late all week, eating dinner (one chicken andouille sausage, a cup of raw cabbage and a handful of roasted cashews – yum – seriously!) at my desk and riding home around 9 instead of my usual 6. It's actually really nice. There's no traffic to speak of, I'm easier to see at night than at dusk (because of all the lights), and by that time the wind that blows through every afternoon – known locally as the Petaluma express – has calmed down so I'm no longer riding directly into a hurricane.

The down side is I'm so brain dead and exhausted by the time I finally get home that all I want to do is feed the dogs and go to bed. So that's what I've been doing.

No movies, no music, no reading – just quiet time in the house, and then sleep. In a weird way it's actually very restful, kind of like those old media fasts I used to do before I started sharing a house with Mr. A. I've realized I really need to do one of those again soon; my brain is so full of media right now that it ... well, I don't know what. It's too full. That's the point. So full I can't think.

I'm dreaming in Illustrator and InDesign.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up Mr. A from the airport, and if I don't have to work this weekend I might get a chance to get away from the computer for long enough to clear and reset my mind, at least temporarily. What about NaBloPoMo? I've decided not to be orthodox this year. But I will at least think about posting every day. And if I happen to have to go online for some reason anyway, I will go ahead and update.

4 Comments:

Blogger JT said...

i don't know why, but i found this email really comforting.

11/16/2007 5:49 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I hope you don't get too thin.

11/18/2007 12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In junior high girls were only required to do the knee pushups. They were trying to Make A Man Out Of Me(tm), so they made me do the full-on ones. Not that it helped... I went from being a 90-lb weakling to being a 200-lb weakling. Phear me!

11/21/2007 8:24 PM  
Blogger Julie Turley, Kingsborough Librarian said...

i need to do a fast of all kinds right now: food and media.

11/23/2007 10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home