Monday, April 07, 2008

Eleven minutes

Re. the oatmeal: I've timed it the last couple of mornings, and I can get from opening the cupboard to taking my first bite in about eleven minutes. Not only that, but while waiting for the various steps to be completed I also got dressed, put on moisturizer, checked my email, brought the garbage cans in from the road and gave the dogs their breakfast. Minutes 3-7 are the only really crucial time – you have to watch the heat so it doesn't boil over. Otherwise, the timing is pretty forgiving. Just don't let it boil too long unless you like gloop (or that crunchy crust it gets on the bottom if too much water boils out).

Here's the breakdown:

Minutes 1-3: Boil water.
Minutes 3-5: Add oats, put the lid on, reduce heat, and bring to a boil again.
Minutes 5-7: Simmer on very low heat. Our stove is electric so I usually just turn off the burner and let it sit. Either way you do it, it's crucial to leave the lid on – only take it off if it starts to boil over!
Minutes 7-10: Take it off the heat and let it sit (still with the lid on). This is exactly the amount of time you need to boil more water for tea or a little French press, if you like.
Minutes 10-11: Put it in the bowl, add your assorted embellishments, and walk out to the picnic table.
Minute 11: Dig in.

Is eleven minutes too long to spend preparing a beautiful, delicious and ridiculously satisfying breakfast? Some mornings I think it is. It sure makes me feel good to eat it, though. And if I'm really in a hurry, I make eggs – those I can have done in under five minutes, including tea.

Hot breakfast! On real dishes and napkins, eaten outdoors if you can possibly swing it. It's my new favorite thing about getting up in the morning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rozanne said...

Eleven minutes is super fast. It blows my mind that you can get all that other stuff down while the oatmeal is cooking.

You are a multitasker par excellence!

4/08/2008 12:04 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

down s/b done

D'oh!

4/08/2008 12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i only have about one minute to prepare breakfast in the a.m. Unless I got up earlier, which is sooooo hard for me...unfortunately.

--wm

4/11/2008 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home