Thursday, June 19, 2008

Never before published

Lightening things up a bit, I will report that this morning I've found a copy of the music I've been looking for to accompany myself on a rousing rendition of a little thing I like to call "The Milkbone Song."

This is the song I sing to the dogs when I'm giving them their morning treat, and this morning I found out just how attuned they are to this, um, tune.

Both of them were snoring away in the living room and I was puttering around in the kitchen, getting my own breakfast together, when I started quietly – almost under my breath, even – humming the song. I was only a few bars into it when suddenly there they both were, standing in the doorway grinning and staring at me. They heard! And knew what it signified. Or at least, Tater heard (the Jeeps doesn't hear much of anything anymore), and Jeepers followed his lead.

So I decided to treat them to a fully orchestrated version, which you can hear right this minute if you have iTunes – and everyone really should have iTunes, shouldn't they? Yes!

So go there right now and search for this song: Carmen: Toréador, en garde – the version by John Mauceri, Leonard Bernstein, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra & The Manhattan Opera Chorus. Then click to hear the preview, and sing along with me! The clip they posted starts right where the lyrics begin, and conveniently ends right about where I run out of ideas and start repeating myself.

I actually wrote the lyrics for two voices, in case Mr. A wants to sing it with me (a rare but not unprecedented occurrence). If you lack a singing partner you can sing both parts yourself. So here we go:

Milkbones for dogs!
Milk-Milky bones for dogs!
Milkbones for dogs!
Milkbones for dogs!
Milkbones, they are delicious and crunchEE,
(triumphantly) And they are all for MEEEEEEE!

Sit down and give me five*,
here's one for you
and one for Tater, too!

*Referring to the trick they have to do to get the bone.

I'm not quitting my day job yet but yeah, I do pen a lyric or two from time to time. For my birthday I'm considering buying myself a new ukulele, to replace the one that was stolen a few years ago. I'm blown away by this guy:



And look at this funny cowboy design! More likely I'll get a plain one and decorate it myself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tina, I love you!
And ohmygod, who knew anyone could do that on a ukulele? From about minute 3:00 to 3:30 his hand is just a blur -- a hummingbird wing. This rocked my world.
In return I send you this link, the happiest ukulele playing and singing that I know of on god's green earth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2Jt4WOxN8
--g

6/19/2008 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tina,
you would like this band called beirut if you don't know them already- pretty much one guy (who's from new mexico) but every song is lovely and orchestral, and filled with ukulele.
here is a link to one music video:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kjeh6P4sRfw&feature=related
xo
rebecca

6/20/2008 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home