Monday, December 22, 2008

Bah humbug, herr governator

Remember last spring when I quit my job to work for a nonprofit, and then freaked out with anxiety and changed my mind and got my job back?

Turns out that was a good call. I just got a press release announcing that basically the entire staff of that organization has been laid off. The state department of finance has just ordered all work funded by state bonds to stop immediately – in fact, we've been told they're even withholding payment on some work that's already been completed, pending resolution of the budget crisis.

I've been working between 5 and 20 hours a week for that organization since about April, and it's not much money but I've been glad for any opportunity to supplement my meager income after my hours here got cut in January. Now I've been told not to do any billable work for them until further notice.

Someone I know who is in the know about such things said it's probably not legal for the state to withhold or redirect bond funds like this for various boring technical reasons I won't go into here ... but that's not much help right now. Five hours a week more or less is not going to make much difference to me, but some of my co-workers over there are really going to be slammed.

Not that I feel very secure in my main job, either. But at least, for now, I still have a job to go to.

Times like this I am grateful that I've made an effort to cultivate an open and curious mind, even when I don't necessarily like what's going on. Right now I feel sort of scared and nauseous, and also kind of interested to see what all is really going to happen between now and the day the second Great Depression is pronounced officially Over.

2 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

Republican lawmakers won't even show up to work out the Ca. budget!
Assholes!
I also feel lucky to still have a job.
These are some scary times!

12/23/2008 9:35 AM  
Blogger wickenden said...

glad you choose correctly

12/23/2008 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home