Friday, August 06, 2010

Our little star



I noticed a few weeks ago that the mark on Bea's chest is an actual five-pointed white star. Pretty cool, eh?

Today I decided to chop my pill in half and split the dose between morning and night, in hopes of 1) not falling asleep in the afternoon again, and 2) being able to sleep better at night. So far, so good. It's 1 p.m. and I'm still awake, and not even all that sleepy. The weather has been helpful too – not too hot, not too cold. Right now it's 61 degrees, which to me is a perfect temperature for anything you might want to do on a beautiful sunny summer day.

I took Bea to the farmer's market this morning to pick up some hummus and baba ganoush. The guys who sell it are amazing – I don't know how they do it, but it's way better than any I've ever made myself. Plus, the plastic containers they use are sturdy and a perfect size for lunch boxes, with lids that actually stay on, so I always like to keep a few of those on hand as well now that I'm packing lunches for Mr. A (enjoying the hausfrau role for as long as it lasts). After the market we went for a long walk on the bike path, and then to a cafe for my new favorite thing, a decaf iced coffee with cream and splenda. As it turns out, she's amazingly good at cafes – lies right down under the table and waits patiently for her little bowl of water, then takes a slurp and settles in for as long as we want to sit there. Taking a walk before we sit down helps, I'm sure, but she's been just as good without one.

Overall I feel like she's turning out to be a really wonderful little dog. I was reading over what I wrote when we first brought her home and remembering how freaked out I felt the first few days – so overwhelmed that I was ready to call the shelter and tell them we were bringing her back. I'm glad we worked it out, and I've really fallen in love with her now.

This afternoon I'm doing some food-related stuff – making coleslaw, marinating steaks for later, and baking zucchini chocolate chip cookies with some of the zucchini Mr. A's co-worker keeps giving us. Both dogs are well-exercised and sleeping and I think I'm going to be able to skip my own nap today, which I hope will mean I can actually fall asleep at a decent hour tonight.

Is it weird to look forward to going to bed at night? Is it sad and pathetic that falling asleep is often the highlight of my day? I guess I don't care if it is. Sleep is one of my greatest pleasure, and getting enough good rest is one of the most important things anyone can do for their health, I truly believe.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sleep is sweet,
but it is sweeter yet to be mere stone
in times when injustice and dishonor reign;
To hear nothing, to feel nothing, is my good fortune
So do not wake me. Speak quietly.

--Michelangelo

8/07/2010 9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home