Monday, February 28, 2011

On losing one's mind

Also wanted to take note of a hospice visit I had with a patient who has Alzheimer's. We had the same five-minute conversation at least 20 times in the three hours I was there and every time she was delighted to have it. At first I felt awkward about repeating myself so often but it wasn't long before I was able to relax into the situation and just enjoy her pleasure in talking with me. There was also a little pink pillow she liked, which I got to present to her over and over again. That too made her face light up every single time.

If my mind ever ends up stuck in a loop like that, I hope it's a happy loop. I'm not sure it really works this way, but it does seem like the more you train your brain to run in positive channels, the more likely it would be that your mind would roll back into one of them if it should ever happen to get derailed. Even if not, at the very least you'd still have spent a lot more of your life in happier thoughts than if you hadn't made the effort.

Anyway. Just something I've been thinking about.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home