Monday, October 26, 2009

Happy anniversary


On the day the stock market crashed last September I was at a press check in Las Vegas, sitting in the client lounge watching the dire predictions unfold. Everyone wanted to know if it would be as bad as the crash of 1929, which has its 80th anniversary this week. Is it that bad? Is it going to be? I don't know. Right now I'm just focusing on my own situation, and trying to enjoy what there is to be enjoyed – new flannel sheets, a beautiful day, friends who love me, time to do whatever I want.

I was looking around on PBS.org this morning and ran across this article, which was published on their blog the same day I got laid off. The gist of it is that even during the Great Depression some people did fine, and a few actually hit the jackpot. A lot has changed since then, but I'm sure the same will be true now – all that money has to go somewhere. Eventually I'm sure I'll find a way to put myself in the path of some of it ....

Ugh. I guess I really don't have anything to say; I'm just here trying to rein in some anxiety before I leave to run some errands. Today is my first day of Not Going To My (Former) Office, and I've been feeling mostly calm, emotionally, but physically very stressed. I'm shaky and full of adrenaline, I keep dropping things, and my heart rate, blood sugar and blood pressure are all elevated. It's unpleasant. But it will pass as I start establishing some new routines.

Thank you to everyone who's been in touch with good wishes. It's so easy to forget how good a few kind words can feel – it seems like such a simple thing just to send an email, make a phone call or a comment ... And it is simple, but it's not small. I appreciate each of you so much and am sending gratitude, good thoughts and blessings back your way, too.

More later, undoubtedly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Marilyn said...

Hi. I've been mostly inactive in my good ol' blog-word for the last year or so, but still read your feed via BLoglines. Sorry to hear about your job loss. I'm unemployed, too. It's only been 1-1/2 months for me...my cousin has been out of work for 13 months. Trying to not let it get me down...doing a lot of reading online about how some are using the recession to kick-start some dreams, etc. That's all just a long-winded way of saying...I'm still reading...and you're not alone.

10/28/2009 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home