Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Pearls before swine
(not that I'm calling them swine)

One thing I haven't been doing much of lately is visiting any kind of establishment where bread is made. I just can't take it; I love fresh bread so much, and there are so many wonderful bakeries in this town, that now that I can no longer eat bread (at all, it seems – though maybe someday I can have a little of it again, I hope I hope) I'm just finding it easier to avoid those places altogether.

But last night I was riding home and the smell of the world's most drool-inducing (in a good way) cinnamon morning buns wafting toward me on the evening air finally got to me. All night long I obsessed about this place, which also makes utterly killer pear-ginger tea cakes and delicious fresh mozzarella, romaine and roma tomato sandwiches and the best seeded sourdough baguette in town, not to mention my favorite round purpley loaves of walnut wheat bread that is just divine with a little lemon-infused olive oil and goat cheese ... All things I must not eat right now ... but they also make a damn good latte, so this morning I decided to revisit the place and see how hard it would really be to go in, order something that is in my "food plan," and leave without caving in to temptation.

Because I can do that. All these years of playing Lent have taught me that it really isn't that hard to say no to things I've decided not to have. It's like with broccoli, which I also love but which unfortunately gives me terrible stomach cramps every time I have even just the tiniest little bite of it. You can tell me how healthy it is until you're blue in the face, but I know that for me, eating broccoli is never a good idea. So I just Don't.

Anyway, all this is just to provide a little context for the dismay I felt when I walked up to the building and saw three bakery employees sitting at the little picnic table in their outdoor break area, eagerly digging into a ginormous bag full of breakfast food from ... MCDONALD'S!!!!!

Perhaps to them fast food is still a fun-filled part of their American dream, but I actually died a little when I saw that. They have intimate access to some of the freshest, most delicious, highest quality baked goods on the entire planet – they're the ones who make them! And they eat McMuffins.

The latte was good though.

P.S. If I really want to make myself cry, I look at this. Ironically, I can actually eat every single thing on this page except the one thing I want more than any of the others ... the toast itself. Maybe someday ... or in my next life.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

I have no words for the employees eating McDonalds....I'm baffled~!!!!!!!

5/30/2007 7:59 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

I am so glad you can still have lattes!!!!!!

(I, too, have no words to express my dismay at the bakery employees eating Micky Doo-Doos, except...gross!)

5/31/2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger JT said...

Were they teens? Maybe they get sick of high quality. It could happen! Your description of that bakery makes me want to buy a ticket for Sonoma right NOW! Bread, and its delectable cousins: cakes, muffins, etc--is a big temptation for me, too, and I'm trying to cut down, just because it's not the best thing anyone could be eating. But, yes, there's nothing better than artisanal quality bread products.

Bah. I'm going to steam some asparagus now.

5/31/2007 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home